Talking about being British – beware of changes in the law for dual nationals when renewing your UK passport!

As someone who worked in the UK immigration law for more than 10 years, I was very confident when it came to renewing my UK passport last week at the Passport Office in Victoria in London (https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/book-appointment-pay ). It was hard work to qualify for British Citizenship at first place, yes, but renewing after 10 years? The actual passport application (as opposed to Naturalisation application or indeed permanent residence one) has always been a “formality”. It felt like a walk in the park. A walk of shame it was – all the way home without a new passport!   

As I have dual nationality, British and Russian, I have had my UK passport since 2007, so it was now time to renew it. When I applied for it in 2007, I asked for my UK passport to be issued in my married surname, even though my Russian passport and my whole immigration case (Fiancée visa – Spouse visa – ILR – Naturalisation) were in my maiden name. I didn’t change my Russian passport to my married name because it is a very bureaucratic and lengthy process (see below). It worked in 2007, and for the last 10 years I have had 2 passports in 2 different names – very “cool”, or so I thought.

Now the new passport rules require the names to match in all passports for dual nationals. Fairly recent rules, I was told about 4 months or so. I was told by the Passport Office official,  “You have to go to the Russian Embassy and change your Russian passport first”. She said it  very casually but I already knew it would take 3-4 months, having renewed my Russian passport in 2016. No argument worked, not even my Certificate of Naturalisation that was issued by the same authority (The Home office) and had my both names on it. When a security officer started circling around me, I decided it was time to acknowledge the defeat and leave the Passport Office. The new rule is, understandably, prevents people from using different names for the same person which can be confusing for the authorities, but in my case, I had all the documents (including the marriage certificate) to prove I am the same person.

I went to the Russian Embassy, was told I had to apply for a Change of Name first, which would take 4 months. Then for a new passport – another 3-4 months. Interestingly, the Russian authorities – one of the most bureaucratic in the world – did not mind my UK passport being in my married name.

The Passport Office in Victoria also told me they could issue me with a new UK passport in my maiden surname, matching my Russian passport. I would, however, need to change my name first by a deed poll! I am deciding what to do ...

I hope this will be helpful to other dual UK/foreign nationals who need to renew their UK passport, and hopefully, won’t have the same problem as I had.


If you need to renew your UK passport fast, please contact us at Multi Travel Visas: http://www.multitravelvisas.co.uk/same-day-british-passport-renewal.php email info@multitravelvisas.co.uk , we reply on the same day! Web-site:www.multitravelvisas.co.uk with the visa requirements and clients' feedbacks. Phone 0871 472 1468 or 07795471483 or text (calls to 0871 number cost £0.10 per minute).


Our office is located in the City of London, near Monument station, also close to Bank, Liverpool Street and London Bridge and within easy reach by DLR from Canary Wharf.

Popular posts from this blog

Updated May 2020: UK visa work continues - latest update

How long can a visitor stay in the UK? 6 months from each entry? In a year? In a calendar year?

💸 10 common mistakes when meeting the Financial Requirement £18,600 for a UK Spouse visa