Thursday, 25 June 2015

Bespoke Russian Visa service and Visa support (invitations).

Multi Travel Visas offers bespoke Russian visa service. It is very fast and convenient and a visa applicant can submit an application - and biometrics - at our office in the City of London (Monument area).

This service allows us to act as a visa centre and collect the biometrics (fingerprints) at our office in the City of London, which is easily accessible by all transport links. Under this procedure we prepare an application form, check the documents, order a visa invitation if needed. Then, rather than going to the visa centre and queuing there for hours, we will provide a biometric kit at our office.

Conveniently, you would have a 1 – 1.5 hour window to come to our office (the day/time pre-arranged as convenient). Right here, on the spot, and without queuing, you will be able to provide the biometrics (fingerprints), we will ‘submit’ your documents and pay the application fees to the official staff operating the biometric kit (here at our office). If there are any issues with the application, we will be able to deal with it right there and then, including logging in the online visa form system or changing a tourist visa invitation.

Contact us: email , we reply promptly and always on the same working day! Phone: 0871 472 1468 or 07795471483 or text. Website:

Office address: 68 King William Street, City of London, London, EC4N 7DZ. Tube station Monument/Bank.


EEA Regulations: retained rights v derivative rights.

The current EEA Regulations have a provision for both of the above but what is the difference? The EEA law in general can be a minefield, with the ever-changing Regulations in the way of various Amendments rather than all rules in one documents. Here we explain retained right versus derivative rights.

RETAINED RIGHT OF RESIDENCE: In some cases a family member of an EEA citizen can retain a right of residency in the UK. The most common example is a non-EEA spouse who can remain in the UK following the divorce. There are requirements to meet, such as having been married for 3 years and actually being divorced on the date of application (plus more rules, this is just an example). Unmarried partners can’t retain the right, though, only spouses and civil partners, ie ‘married partners’.  

The main difference is this: those who retain a right of residence can eventually apply for a permanent residency status. Those who have a derivate right – can’t.

DERIVATIVE RIGHT OF RESIDENCE: For example, it covers a primary carer of an EEA or British citizen, which is based on Rui Zambrano case. So, requiring a carer to leave the UK (such as if he/she does not have a UK visa) would force an EEA national to leave the European Union. This provision allows a non-EEA citizen carer to remain in the UK to look after the EEA national in question to reside in the UK. An EEA national is often a child but can be an adult requiring looking after as well. The downside is this does not lead to permanent residency.

This right is “derived” from Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) and not from Directive 2004/38/EC (the free movement Directive), on which the EEA Regulations are based.

For an individual advice or to make an application please contact us: or visit

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website:

English language for spouses of UK citizens: to B or not to B? That is the question! Or rather A1 or B1 level? Where can I find this on the Rules?

This is one of our very popular posts, where we explain how to use the Immigration Rules and where to find something you may be having doubts about or hearing different answers from different people.

So, spouses of UK citizens only need the basic A1 level when applying for an initial visa or for an extension (but  not for ILR). There is a common myth that it is a B1 level but it is wrong.

Here it is in the Rules: we go to Appendix FM In Family Life as a Partner we have a section called Section EC-P: Entry clearance as a partner and then a sub-section called English language requirement:

“E-ECP.4.1. The applicant must provide specified evidence that they-
(b) have passed an English language test in speaking and listening at a minimum of level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages with a provider approved by the Secretary of State;”

The same can be found in the section for a Leave to Remain, which deals with the applications inside the UK, both extensions and switching from a different category.

Simple, isn’t it, when you know where to look?

A higher level, B1, will be needed when applying for permanent residency after 5 years. The main reason why there is a confusion between the levels is the 2 confusing interpretation of a word ‘settlement’. We have a very good post here, which would help you to understand the difference:

For an individual advice or to make an application please contact us: or visit

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website:

Wednesday, 24 June 2015

New successful case and testimonial on extension of Discretionary Leave to Remain in the UK.

Joanne, you were very efficient and I am really happy with the results! I was really happy to recommend you (to my employer for immigration-related matters)”.

This came from Priscila, a Brazilian national, who came to us to extend her 3-year Discretionary Leave to Remain. Since it was issued under the old rules before 9 July 2012 and was for 3 years, we were able to submit an application to extend it for further 3 years. The next step, after 3 more years, will be Indefinite leave to Remain (permanent residency), which can now be done on same-day service as from 6th April 2015.

The process described above is different from those getting the first discretionary visa from 9 July 2012 onwards. Under the ‘new rules’ a discretionary leave, private life or family life leave is issued for 2.5 years at a time, so one would need 10 years (3 extensions) to qualify for ILR, as opposed to 6 years under the old rules.

For an individual advice or to make your application as successful please contact us: or visit

To read about our adviser Joanne Wilson please visit this page:

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website:


Tuesday, 23 June 2015

(Compulsory from 6 April 2015) Business plan writing service for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa - from an experienced Immigration Entrepreneur

A business plan was made compulsory for initial applications from 6 April 2015.  Over the past several years we’ve been dealing with the Entrepreneur visa applications for our clients. As a part of each application, we have to read client’s business plan, ask to make changes and generally, to include the information relevant to the Entrepreneur visa rules as well as based on the questions a client may be asked at a interview (from our experience of clients’ visa interviews).

Our experienced allowed us to develop an approach to creating the business plans from a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa point of view. Instead of using standard templates, we focus on what the visa officers want to see, ie on what a migrant will be required to do while holding this visa: investment of £50,000 or £200,000 and what your client is going to spend it on. For example, paying yourself a salary is not counted, yet it is very common for clients to do this.   

Another example will be including a plan of creating 2 jobs and that they will be for ‘settled’ people. Most business plans we see do not mention these 2 jobs at all, yet it is a common question at a visa interview, so we think it is a good idea to include it and add employer’s National Insurance contributions to the calculation.

We also advise to explain your business idea in simple and plain language. For instance, there is no benefit in adding many technical IT terms because the visa officers are not IT professionals, yet they have to understand your business idea. If you can explain it to us, we can explain to the UK Visas & Immigration. Finally, we advise to treat it like a CV but for a business. Too many CVs contain information designed to make the applicant look ‘clever’, yet fall apart once an interviewer starts asking questions about it. The Home Office staff do read the business plan and may ask questions!  

A typical business plan takes 1-2 weeks to prepare but we always try to accommodate clients’ urgent requests and do it as soon as possible.

For more info or for what’s included in a typical plan, please visit: or contact us:

New testimonial on our Points-Based System immigration training course.

"Really good to be able to talk about practical issues around delivering PBS service." This came from Sally, who attended our PBS training course in May 2015. Sally was a solicitor and had plenty of knowledge on the immigration matters, such as spouse and family visas. She wanted to gain knowledge of the Points-Based System to help her to work on the PBS cases.

As a practicing OISC-accredited immigration firm, we are 1st 4Immigration work on Points-Based System applications on a daily basis and with great success. This includes Tier 1 Entrepreneur applications and Tier 2 Sponsor Licence applications. We also help with a business plan, which was made a compulsory requirement from 6 April 2015.

Points-Based System has become a popular subject within our OISC Level 1 training course (both online course and a classroom one), so we started offering it as a separate course from March 2015, after we were told by the Level 1 attendees that they were there mainly for the Points-Based System.

The course, named Points - Based System training course: Tiers, Points, Dependants, qualifying for ILR is an intensive 1 day Saturday course at our office in the City of London. It has a particular emphasis on Tier 2 General and Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa categories, applying for a Sponsor Licence and using Tier 2 Code of Practice as well as qualifying for an Indefinite Leave in these routes. It also covers the rules for family members of PBS migrants.

You can earn 7 core CPD hours on this course, awarded by 1st 4Immigration Ltd, who is on the OISC list of acceptable CPD providers. 

For a full table of the training dates, a detailed agenda and other information please visit our website. We have now finished the spring-summer training and will have training every month beginning from September 2015.

Points-Based System training, CPD 7 hours:

OISC Level 1 course in the classroom, CPD 10 hours:

Contact us: or phone 0871 472 1468.

Thursday, 18 June 2015

New successful case and testimonial on a UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa extension.

“Thank you so much again for all your help - Your knowledge of the requirements for extending our visa was evident, and really appreciated - we wish we had come straight to you months ago! I have already passed your name on to another friend”.

This came from Cameron and Darnelle, nationals of New Zealand, who applied to extend their Entrepreneur visa and a dependent visa respectively. There are many requirements related to an extension in this category and it can be tricky to navigate! We successfully proved that the £200,000 of the funds have been invested as a director’s loan and that at least 2 full-time jobs for settled people have been created (in this case it was 3 people whose working hours totalled to the equivalent of 2 full-time jobs lasting for 12 months).

The next step, after 2 more years of hard work in running a business, will be Indefinite leave to Remain (permanent residency).

For an individual advice or to make your application as successful please contact us: or visit

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website:

Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Places still available! OISC Level 1 course, Sat-Sun 20-21 June 2015 (just in time for the OISC exam on 23 June), City of London, from a practicing immigration company. CPD 10 hours accepted by the OISC.

A very informative and practical 2-day weekend course at our office in the City of London!  1st 4Immigration Ltd is a practicing OISC-accredited immigration company, OISC ref F200800152. After many years of experience – and hundreds of successful cases – we are sharing our experience to help you to prepare for your OISC Level 1 assessment and accreditation or, if you are already practicing, to increase your knowledge. You can read Testimonials on our immigration cases here.

Weekend 20 - 21 June 2015, OISC Level 1 (in time for an OISC exam on 23 June).
Weekend 26 - 27 September 2015 (in time for OISC exam on 28 September).

Weekend 24 - 25 October 2015 (in time for OISC exam on 29 October).

Weekend 14 - 15 November 2015 (in time for OISC exam on 23 November).

Weekend 12 - 13 December 2015 (in time for OISC exam on 17 December).

Our tutors are our very own OISC-accredited practicing immigration advisers who handle the real cases during the week and teach on weekends. You can read about them on the Tutors page.

Unlike most traditional courses, ours is conducted using plain language and does not simply contain quotes from the Immigration Rules. We include cases studies from our practice, answers to most common questions, a Questions&Answers session and a mock Level 1 assessment, which is given to the candidates at the end to complete in their own time and send to us. Generally, we try to keep it as entertaining as possible. We will also provide a printed version of the course (150 pages) for you to take home, which is very detailed, contains more cases studies and you can take it with you to the 'real' OISC exam.
To book visit our training website:

Detailed Course Agenda can be found here and is designed in our own unique way.

1st 4Immigration Ltd: 68 King William Street, City of London, London, EC4N 7DZ. Near Monument underground station. Email:, Phone: 0871 472 1468 (£0.10 per minute, emails are free).

You can find a detailed Table of Contents on the link above, here are 2 examples (of 20):
PART 1: CRUCIAL TO GET THE BASICS!2 systems of immigration law: UK law and European law | Types of visas under the UK law | Entry Clearance | Visitor visa | Leave to Remain (also called Residence Permit or Limited Leave to Remain) | Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) | It is possible to lose an ILR, however Indefinite it is | Indefinite Leave to Enter | There is also a Leave to Enter
‘Settlement’ and 2 confusing meanings of this word | Common question:  Passport has expired, do I have to transfer my visa to a new passport | What is Switching? | Common examples when switching is not allowed even though the migrants are desperate to do so | What is the Date of Application and why it is so important? | When is the Date of Application? | In-time and Out-of-time applications
Each category rules consist of 3 parts | My ‘Other way around’ principle | How to determine if switching is possible?| How to determine if a visa allows to work? | Registration with the police | Tuberculosis test | UKBA Staff Guidance
You can find Extracts on the link above too, here are 2 of them:
Extract from the “IMMIGRATION RULES AND HOW TO USE THEM” section:
No one knows everything and remembers all the rules! The trick is to know how to use the Immigration Rules and where to find  the specific information. The Rules may change anytime, and they do change a lot, but if you know how to use the Rules you could check the requirements or check the changes at any time. For example, things like whether a migrant can switch a visa category while in the UK or whether a migrant can work or whether a particular English test is acceptable are all a matter of the Rules, not a matter of guessing.
My ‘Other way around’ principle:
I call it ‘other way around’ because many people tend to think this way: “I am on a Tier 5 visa and want to know if I can apply for a Spouse visa inside the UK”, then they go on the Immigration Rules webpage for the Tier 5 category and try to read the rules there. Understandably, they only find the rules about how to get a Tier 5 visa, which they already have, and not a Spouse visa.
What you need to do is to act the ‘other way around’, ie to check the rules of the category your client is looking to apply for, not the rules of the category in which he/she already has a visa. In our example of switching from a Tier 5 to a Spouse visa it is the Spouse visa rules that one needs to read – to determine if he/she can qualify.
Extracts from the “CRUCIAL TO GET THE BASICS!” section:
What is Switching?
Switchingis not an official term. Switching simply means changing a visa category while inside the UK, ie switching from one to another, such as from a Tier 4 Student to a Tier 2 General; or from Tier 4 to a Spouse visa. Officially it is called ‘applying for a leave to remain in a Tier 2 General category’ or ‘applying for a leave to remain as a Spouse of a UK citizen’. So, we can simply say ‘Switching from a Student visa to a Spouse visa’.
The significance of switching is this: switching means applying inside the UK and it is only allowed if the Rules specifically allow so. If switching is not allowed then the applicant has to return to their country and apply for a visa from there, which means he/she would be applying for an Entry Clearance.
What is the Date of Application and why it is so important?
Imagine this: you are making an application today but tomorrow the Rules are changing, which rules would apply? Or you have made an application a month ago, your visa expires in 2 weeks time and your application is not going to be decided before then, are you going to become an overstayer through no fault of your own?
A Date of Application idea deals with such issues. If the date of your application is before the Rules changed then your application is going to be considered under the Rules in place before the changes. For example, Spouse/Partner visas rules were significantly changed on 9 July 2012, yet those who applied before that, even on 8 July 2012, had their applications considered under the old rules, even if the decision was made a few months after the rules changed.
If the date of your application is before your last visa expired then your status remains the same as it was on the date of application for as long as it takes for a new application to be considered. However long it takes, even if the last visa expired by then. Officially it is extended by virtue of section 3C of the Immigration Act 1971, which automatically extends the ‘last visa’ for as long as it is going to take for a decision on the new application. This means migrants do not become overstayers through no fault of their own?

To book please visit the page Booking or contact us:

When I get a UK Spouse visa, do I have to stay in the UK all the time? What are the limits on absences? Can I work abroad?

We are asked this question almost every day! The purpose of a Spouse/Partner visa is for the foreign partner to reside in the UK with their British/settled spouse/partner. So, are there limits on how many days you (or your British spouse) can spend outside the UK while on this visa? Some think it is 90 days, others – 180 days per year. Both are wrong. The former is the old limit for work visas and the latter is the current limit for the visas under the Points-Based System. Neither applies to spouses and partners.

The answer is: there is no specified limit on absences. In other words, there is no minimum number of days, such as “180 per year”. The only rule is that the UK remains your main home and each case has to be assessed on its merit.
How does it work in practice? In our immigration practice we have to assess each case individually. For example, a case where a British spouse was sent, by their UK employer, to work in Hong Kong for 6 months, while remaining an employee for a UK company (and getting a salary in the UK and paying UK taxes). Yet it is a different thing when a British spouse was offered a job in Singapore for 1.5 years, for a Singapore-based employer and getting paid in Singapore.

Generally, you should maintain the UK as your home as much as possible. This can be achieved by keeping the bills and bank statements arriving to your UK address (including address of the parents if you didn’t keep your own place or had to stop renting while abroad). Another thing is the Financial Requirement. If you’re meeting it by using some or all earnings from your job outside the UK – it will be obvious you weren’t residing here. If you were working abroad for a few months while being paid a salary in the UK (to a UK bank account) then there is no problem with using a Category A or B (employment). Some other categories do not indicate where you were at all: savings or property rental income (other than the property where you are or will be living in the UK) can be in any country whether you’re residing there or not.

Other than the above, the more time you spend abroad the weaker your case will be, particularly if you spent more than 50% of the time outside the UK. On the other hand, this is a problem for Indefinite Leave applications (ILR, permanent residency), rather than for an extension because ILR is based on the residing for 5 years in the UK while extension isn’t based on any period of residency.

For an individual advice or to make an application please contact us: or visit

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website:

Monday, 15 June 2015

I am applying for ILR based on a PBS route (Tier 1 or Tier 2). How do I find in the Rules whether I need to meet English language requirement (and take a test, again)?

It may be tempting to look at the Appendix B of the Immigration Rules, it is called English language after all. However, Appendix B is for the initial applications and extensions under the Points-Based System and it is no good for ILR applicants.

The right place is Appendix KOLL, Knowledge of Language and Life, which applies only to ILR applicants, in all categories including in the PBS routes:

It is easy to see how you can meet the English requirement, such as by passing an acceptable test or using a degree taught in English. The real question is whether you have to meet this requirement again, if you already met it before, which applies to almost al Tier 1 migrants and to many Tier 2 migrants, particularly in the Tier 2 (General) sub-category. In other words, the question is “Do I have to pass English test again?”

The answer is in the Appendix KOLL:

“2.2 For the purposes of paragraph 2.1, an applicant demonstrates sufficient knowledge of the English language if:
(b) the applicant-

(i) has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK, and

(ii) that leave (or a grant of leave which preceded it provided any periods of leave since have been unbroken – such as Tier 1 General and then an extension) was given on the basis that the applicant had an English language qualification at a minimum level of B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

(iii) at the date of application, the provider of that qualification continues to be approved by the Secretary of State as specified in Appendix O to these Rules.”

If you meet the above requirements then you don’t have to take a test again! although there are also some transitional arrangements for those who had the tests which are no longer accredited. 

For an individual advice or to make an application please contact us: or visit

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website:


Friday, 12 June 2015

Fast Same-day UK passport renewal for the summer holidays! Submission on the same or next working day in London. Renewal, replacement of lost passport. Also 2nd valid passport for frequent business travellers.

Multi Travel Visas Ltd can assist with renewing a UK passport using same-day or 1 week service at the Passport Office in London, with the authorisation from you as per the government requirements. We can submit applications on next working day after receiving your documents, there is no need to wait for an appointment. We may also be able to submit on the same day if we receive your documents before 12pm (Midday) and they are in order.

We can also help if for some reason you are unable to apply yourself. If you don't have time to travel to a Passport Office yourself we can apply on your behalf (you don't have to come to London). If you are living/working abroad you can courier documents to our London office and we can submit them promptly for same-day service. This includes if your passport has run out of pages or if you need to renew not only yours but also/or your child's passport urgently.  Example: British expats living or working in the USA, the Middle East, Asia and Europe.  

Passport renewal: we can renew your adult passport on same-day service or 1 week service, with applications submitted as soon as next working day. We can also submit on same working day if we have document before 12pm and they are in order. You can also ask for a ‘Jumbo’ passport (48 pages instead of the standard 32), handy if you travel frequently outside the UK and your passport is full of stamps – it will take much longer for your passport to run out of pages.

Replacement of a lost or stolen passport: we can submit promptly, as above, but replacements are only processed on 1 week service at the Passport Office.

2nd valid passport for frequent business travellers: this is possible within the timing of normal urgent services, here your employer has to provide a letter confirming you have to travel frequently for work and you need a 2nd passport to travel while your 1st one is used to apply for visas.

We also help with foreign travel visas: Russia (including invitations, ie visa support), China, India, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan and others. If you have a British passport but work abroad we can still process a visa application here in London. For example, if you are working abroad far from a capital city in that country, and cannot go to the Embassies, then you could courier your documents to us and we’d submit to the Embassies in the UK. Example: British expats working in the Spanish islands of Majorca.

 Contact us now: 0871 472 1468. Email , we reply on the same working day! Web-site:  with the visa requirements and clients' feedbacks. Calls to 0871 number cost £0.10 per minute, emails are free.

Our office is based in the City of London, near Monument station. Also close Bank, Liverpool Street and London Bridge. Within easy reach by DLR from Canary Wharf. 

Fast Schengen visa for summer travel and sooner appointments! Turnaround 4 working days for most nationals. We reply emails on the same working day! Tel 0871 472 1468

Multi Travel Visas Ltd is an accredited agency with the official French visa centre in London, we have many years of experience of working with French Consulate. We use a separate system of appointments and can provide an appointment sooner than available for the public.


It is possible to obtain a visa within 4 working days from the date of the biometric appointment for most nationals, such as Filipino, South African, Russian, Indian, Chinese, Turkish and most others. It takes longer for some nationals, up to 3 weeks, a list is available on our website: 


German Schengen visa takes 5 working days from the date of appointment. No biometrics, no personal attendance needed! Furthermore, spouses and family members of UK/EU citizens don't have to book tickets/accommodation before applying for this visa. This is the best Embassy to apply for a Schengen visa for spouses and family members of UK/EU citizens.

Portuguese Schengen visa takes 1 week from the nearest available Wednesday. No biometrics, no personal attendance needed! Webpage:

Contact us at Multi Travel Visas:
Phone 0871 472 1468 or 07795471483

We reply on the same working day!

Or come to our office from 9am to 6pm (you don’t need an appointment): 68 King William Street, City of London, London, EC4N 7DZ. We’re near Monument tube station, close to Bank and Liverpool Street, over the bridge from London Bridge station and within easy reach by DLR from Canary Wharf.

Wednesday, 10 June 2015

When I get a UK Spouse visa, do I have to travel straight away or can I come a few months later?

As a Spouse/Partner/Fiancée visa is one of our most common visa categories (with the 100% success rate so far!), we are often asked this question. A Spouse/Partner Entry Clearance (visa issued outside the UK) is issued for 33 months, that’s 2.5 years plus 3 months. It starts from the date of decision, not the date of travel.

The 3 months are given for extra flexibility, so a foreign spouse doesn’t have to rush and arrive in the UK as soon as they have a visa. And most people would not make any travel arrangements until their visa has been granted, which may sometimes take as much as 3 months (but there is a Priority Service for applications in some countries, such as the USA, Australia, New Zealand and many others).

So, the 3 extra months are already added to address this issue. However, it does not mean you have to enter within those 3 months. You can enter later, as long as you enter within the validity of the visa.

If you do delay your entry for more than 3 months it means you may have to make an extra extension in the future. An unnecessary visa application costing you a full Home Office fee. Why is it so? Spouses and partners need to spend 5 years in the UK in this category to qualify for permanent residency (Indefinite Leave to Remain). The 1st visa is for 2.5 years (plus extra 3 months when applying outside the UK), then extension for another 2.5 years, getting 5 years in total – ready to apply for Indefinite Leave.

On the other hand, you can’t make ILR application until 28 days before ‘your’ 5 years. This is why, if you delay your entry for too long, you may need to get an extra extension to take you up to 5 years. That extra extension will be a full application for a full Home Office fee, even if you are only going to need it for a month.

One more thing: you can apply for ILR within 28 days before ‘your’ 5 years, which gives you almost a month extra, in addition to the 3 months explained above, so total 4 months!

A Fiancée visa is always valid for 6 months from the date of decision, there is no maneuver on that but this visa does not count for ILR anyway. So, you need to enter, get married and apply for a Spouse visa – all while your Fiancée visa is valid. Here we mean ‘apply for a Spouse visa’, not ‘get a Spouse visa’, because sometimes it may take several months and your Fiancée visa will have expired by then (doesn’t matter as long as you make an application while it is still valid).

The good thing you can apply for a Spouse visa using same-day service and get in quickly!

For an individual advice or to make an application please contact us: or visit 

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website: