Sunday, 29 December 2019

πŸ€” What’s next after Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa?

Although this visa category is now closed (replaced with a Start-up visa), there are still many migrants in the UK on this visa. This category doesn't lead to settlement, and doesn't count with other visas towards settlement when counting 5 years of residence. So, what are the option to extend your stay in the UK? 

Switch to Tier 2 General if you have a sponsor (employer). There is a special exemption from advertising a job to settled workers. If an employer wants to sponsor a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) migrant, they don’t need to conduct Resident Labour Market Test. Read more on our website here. 

Switch to Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa if you wish to start, join or continue with a business in the UK. You only need £50,000 in funds instead of the standard £200,000. Although Tier 1 Entrepreneur was closed to new applicants on 29 March 2019, if you have a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa now (or had in the last 12 months), you can still switch for a limited period of time, ie still apply under the old Rules. You can even apply under Entrepreneur rules outside the UK. Read more on our website here. And you can also switch to a new Innovator category but it all be more difficult, if not impossible, than to switch to the old Entrepreneur route. 

- If you haven't spent 2 years on Graduate Entrepreneur visa, you can 'extend' but under the new Start-Up category, making a total stay on GE and Start-Up maximum 2 years. 

- Switch to a Talent visa. Currently, it is still Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) category but it is expected to be replaced by more migrant-friendly and easier-to-use Global Talent visa in 2020. Read more on our website or contact us for updates on the future changes in the UK Immigration Rules. 

Switch to a Spouse/Partner visa. If you are in a relationship with a UK citizen, someone who has a permanent residency status in the UK, you can switch to this and qualify for Settlement after 5 years (or 10 years if you have exceptional circumstances). If you are in a relationship with someone on a visa that leads to Settlement, you can apply for a dependent visa. For example, if your partner is working on a Tier 2 General visa, you can secure a Tier 2 Dependant visa. 

All of the above categories lead to settlement (ILR), although none of them can be combined with the time spent on a Graduate Entrepreneur visa. 

- 10 years legal residence in the UK. Here you can count any visa types. Subject to the limits of absences, and someone other requirements, after 10 years of continuous legal residence in the UK, you could qualify for Settlement. 

1st4Immigration is a practicing immigration law company, accredited by the OISC at the highest Level 3, reference 200800152. Office address: Tower 42, 25 Old Broad Street, London, EC2N 1HN. Website:

We also provide immigration training and CPD for lawyers and those preparing for OISC exam. We have classroom/livestream courses and online self-study courses, accredited by CPD Standards Office, ref 80001, and accepted by The OISC. Visit our OISC training page here.

No comments:

Post a comment